Coach MB delivers a presentation that guarantees more earning power and a more productive life. This powerful talk provides a simple tool to change your personal and professional life. The difference in our earning potential and increased production in every area of our life can be developed through the straightforward process of being more deliberate with our time.
The definition of time management is:
Time management is the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity.
When our focus is narrowed, we become growth vessels!
Here is some interesting data on how we spend our time:
This talk comes from real life experience, and decades of practice honing the skills of top athletes and leaders.
These statistics forced me to be intentional about what activities I was participating in and for how long. As a result, I began looking at time management as a question of productivity and not necessarily scheduling or efficiency.” Spending time on professional & personal growth increases our earning potential and ability to produce at work.
Personal Growth = Productivity
After much consideration and study, I realized that personal growth was the actual driving force in productivity. Earning potential and new opportunities increase with skill development. Therefore, our use of time both personally and professionally should reflect that.
A better you is a better anything you want to be
4 Areas of development that increase productivity
To become more productive and create new opportunities, we should focus on the following quadrants:
- Professional Internal – work on a new skill that can be applied in your current workplace. Make it something that will make you more valuable to your company.
- Professional External – work on a skill outside your workplace. Focus on a designation or mentoring program that can provide you greater earning potential or build professional relationships outside of your business.
- Personal Development – work on a skill that will create some area of personal growth. Focus on passive skills that interest you, but create possible productive skill sets. Language courses, learning how to play instruments or writing a book are excellent examples of this area.
- Personal Family – work on a skill that will create increased family relationships and bonds. When we have good stable home lives, we are much more productive in the workplace.
In order to make the most of our intentions, it is important to have some guardrails that keep us on track. There are also some key factors that should drive the decisions we make when deciding how to use our time. The following are some tools to utilise when scheduling the activities that will help you grow and become more productive.
- Everything you do must have a start and completion date – Regardless of whether it is a professional designation course or writing a book. Scheduling the start and finish date will keep you on track to finish.
- Do what you want to do – Find growth opportunities that interest you. Take on projects in the office that create growth for you. It will create a domino theory. You will delegate more often. That will empower your people.
- Schedule things that add growth to you or your loved ones. Be certain to identify that in your specific quadrant of growth. If it is a joint activity, find the growth opportunity for those that participate with you.
- Try to schedule activities that have a 2/3 value – Each activity you schedule has the opportunity to have multiple growth opportunities. For example, taking a language course with a child can create growth both personally and professionally. One activity meets two separate quadrants.
- What is measured is gained – Take the opportunity 12-18 months after completing a growth activity and evaluate how it has created earning potential and growth. It will provide you with the ability to make changes and validate what activities you are currently working on.
Remember, a better you, is a better anything you want to be
We all improve with time!
Our meeting mantra was “If the plan doesn’t work, change the plan, not the goal” and we really needed an organizational leader who could kick off our meeting and so we turned to Marcel. In developing the meeting agenda with Marcel prior to the meeting it became very obvious that the similarities between sports and the business world are quite remarkable. The preparation put forth by Marcel getting abreast of our industry prior to the meeting was like no other speaker I’ve seen and his efforts paid huge dividends for his credibility as well as to our organization.
The message of developing your plan, evaluating your plan, adjusting your plan, re-evaluating your plan, making further adjustments, understanding that your plan is a “living & breathing” document came out crystal clear during our meeting and the goal is to win. There is no question that selecting Marcel as our keynote speaker for this meeting was the right decision and yes we are winning. We are adjusting, evaluating and re-evaluating constantly and we will win the 2015 game for sure!
The effort, his credibility, his experiences, the message and Marcel’s leadership qualities made our meeting an astounding success. It was “excellence in execution!”
Michael G. Sheedy
Service Corporation International